Prior to visiting the archives, please be sure to take the following steps to ensure that you get the most out of your time with the collections:
- Visit the Archives and Special Collections homepage to make yourself aware of our open hours or any upcoming closures.
- If the archives are open for research by appointment only, contact us to make an appointment. You can see our availability for appointments on our appointment calendar linked from the homepage.
- Know which collections you want to look at prior to coming in. For information about how to find information about collections on our website, consult the Using the archives website section of this guide.
- Pay particular attention to the volume and container list in the finding aid, and if the collection is large and has multiple boxes, use the container list to narrow down which boxes you want to look at. Check out the How to use our finding aids section of this guide for more information on navigating the finding aids.
- If the archives staff sends you a researcher registration form to sign over DocuSign, make sure to enter all of the requested information and sign electronically to save time during your visit.
- Make sure to bring a computer or pencil and paper to take notes, as well as a camera if you would like to take photographs.